Restoration Of Gun Rights

Restoring your gun rights is possible, but complex.

Restoring Your Gun Rights

Federal and state laws prohibit certain people from possessing firearms, sometimes for life. Often, this is the result of a conviction of a violent crime or a drug crime. Even conviction of a misdemeanor domestic assault charge can result in the revocation of your right to own and possess firearms.

If you find yourself in this situation, CJB Law is ready to help you get your gun rights restored. Relief from revocation of your gun rights may involve a judicial challenge, or a petition to restore rights following a felony conviction.

Why Hiring A Lawyer Makes Sense

Receiving a permit to carry a concealed firearm is a separate process. The standards for a conceal and carry permit are more strict than permits for possession. CJB Law can assist in your pursuit of a permit to carry a handgun in public.

Some people attempt to navigate the restoration of their firearms permit without hiring a lawyer. You should know it’s not uncommon for gun rights restoration cases to be aggressively opposed by prosecutors and law enforcement authorities. Knowing whether your gun rights have been revoked and how to restore them also gets complicated because it can involve both state and federal laws.

In order to have your gun rights restored, you must be released from physical confinement and show that “good cause” exists. This may include employment that requires possession of a firearm (such as a security guard or enrollment in the military), or for hunting reasons.

It is also important to note that if a person who is convicted of a felony violent crime has his or her application to have gun rights restored denied, that person is prohibited from applying to the court again for three years. Clearly, it is critical to get this right the first time.

Get Started

Free Case Evaluation

Contacting CJB Law is free. We understand that the criminal or civil issues you’re facing can seem daunting and even frightening. It’s our goal to put your mind at ease and your future in the right hands. Tell us about your case today.