Knowledge and Experience
The child custody attorneys at CJB Law have helped families find suitable custody arrangements for their circumstances for years. You can count on our trusted team to provide you with thorough explanations of the entire process, putting your mind at ease and ensuring that you’re prepared for every aspect of this experience. We’ll help you explore every legal option before settling on an arrangement that benefits both you and your child. Talk with our team now to learn more about your Minnesota family law solutions for child custody.
Our Family Law Services
- Wishes of parents;
- Wishes of child or children;
- Current parental caretaking roles;
- Depth of relationship among parent and child;
- Mental and physical health of parent and child;
- Child’s proposed or existing home, school, culture, and community;
- Permanence, stability, and continuity of proposed custodial home;
- Proximity of custodial home to both parents and family;
- Existing chemical or domestic abuse issues.
- The ability of both parents to cooperate in healthy child-rearing
- The methods (and willingness of each parent to employ these methods) for resolving any major child-related disputes
- Whether one parent retaining sole custody would be detrimental to a child’s well-being
- If domestic abuse has happened between the parents
- Summons and petition, or counter-petition – Filing a petition (or counter) is the first step necessary to start proceeding with the case.
- Strategizing and case-building – The attorneys at CJB Law gather all appropriate documentation, evidence, and information that will be useful in your case and begin crafting a course of action tailored entirely to your situation.
- Various analyses – Next, multiple assessments of outstanding issues between parents and an evaluation of child support and visitation plans will help provide a solid background when settling on an equitable parenting plan.
- Settlement efforts – Once the preliminary investigation into pursuing your parental rights is complete, your attorney will attempt to settle the child custody issue outside of court to avoid any stress on you, your child, and your former spouse or partner.
- Litigation – If a favorable agreement cannot be made, your child custody case will go into litigation in front of family courts. This can result in depositions, formal discovery, expert testimony, psychological evaluations, and ultimately, trial. CJB Law aims to reach an agreeable settlement that keeps you and your child out of court.
- Conclusion – After everything is settled in court, the court sets a final decree or child custody order, a legally binding agreement that both parties must adhere to until appealed and modified.