Knowledge and Experience
Our Family Law Services
Who Is Eligible to Adopt in Minnesota?
Who Can Be Adopted?
What Actions Are Required If I Want to Adopt?
Adopting a child is often a complicated process regardless of where you live. Like anywhere else, individuals who wish to adopt in Minnesota need to meet specific criteria to ensure a child’s safety, health, and well-being. All people wanting to adopt in Minnesota must be approved by a licensed home study provider, regardless of the adoption type or the outlet used to complete the process.
Going through the home study process helps ensure that the adopted child enters a safe, loving, and stable home environment. Home studies require a thorough investigation into the lives of prospective adoptive parents, including:
- Background checks
- Home inspections
- Family interviews
- Gathering personal documents
- Adoption training courses
- Character references
- Meetings with social workers
All of these things listed above and more are expected during a home study before adoption. Your Minnesota adoption attorney at CJB Law can assist you in gathering the necessary evidence to nail an upcoming home study and prepare to finalize your adoption.
What Are the Appropriate Channels for Adopting a Child in MN?
Is There Any Financial Assistance for Prospective Birth Parents?
- Medical and legal fees
- Transportation and housing associated with the adoption
- Nutrition and healthcare-related expenses
- Professional adoption services
- Loss of income as a result of the pregnancy
What Should I Expect From the Minnesota Adoption Process?
- Informational sessions
- Pre-adoption education courses
- Home studies
- Foster care licensing
- Matching process
- Pre-placement and placement
- Post-placement and finalization
- Post-finalization support